Followers

Sunday, March 4, 2012

Oat What a Beautiful Morning


    On a winter day it is great to start out with a hot breakfast.  Oatmeal sticks to your ribs and can be prepared in a variety of ways to keep it from getting boring.  My Mom used to make it with butter, raisins, brown sugar, and a dash of milk to cool it down.

     I use whatever is on hand as an "oatmeal topper."  I know magicians don't reveal their tricks, but since I don't wear a big hat, I can tell you. Our most popular preparation is to add frozen blueberries.    The blueberries defrost in the hot oatmeal and bring the cereal to an edible temperature. 

     It is a great way to slip some fruit into the most important meal of the day.  If I have bananas going past their prime, in they go that day with a dash of cinnamon.  I also like ginger, nutmeg and vanilla.  Feel free to throw in some nuts for added protein. Sometimes I use a splash of maple syrup. 

     Little ones can call it "pirate buried treasure" since the bananas are gold coins and the shredded coconut, jewels.  They dig to the bottom of the bowl to see what might be hidden in their oatmeal.    What is your favorite way to serve oatmeal?


No comments:

Post a Comment