Followers

Sunday, March 11, 2012

Do You Like Bean Soup With Ham?

Senate Bean Soup
   I had the ham bone left from Hamming It Up , but when I checked the pantry, there were no split peas.  I didn't feel like driving to the store to pick up the ingredients to make split-pea soup.  I found a recipe for bean soup that used ham and beans I had aplenty.

   There wasn't much ham left on the bone, but I managed to squeeze another meal out of it.  I stuck  true to the recipe except the the leftover carrots added to use up.  The meaty flavor and thick potatoes made a satisfying meal.  We rated it 4 thumbs up!

Senate Bean Soup
from: Betty Crocker Cookbook

2 cups dried navy beans (1 pound)
12 cups water
1 ham bone
2 12 cups mashed cooked potatoes
2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
1 large onion, chopped (1 cup)
2 medium stalks celery, chopped (1 cup)
1 clove garlic, finely chopped

1. Heat beans and water to boiling in 4-quart Dutch oven. Boil uncovered 2 minutes; remove from heat. Cover and let stand 1 hour.
2. Add ham bone. Heat to boiling; reduce heat. Cover and simmer about 2 hours or until beans are tender.
3. Stir in remaining ingredients. Cover and simmer 1 hour.
4. Remove ham bone; let stand until cool enough to handle. Remove ham from bone. Remove excess fat from ham; cut ham into 1/2 inch pieces. Stir ham into soup.

No comments:

Post a Comment