Followers

Monday, March 5, 2012

Hamming It Up


Scrhambled


    Dan picked up a ham at the market for 99 cents a pound and boy did we get a lot of mileage out of it.  First he baked it in the oven and served it with boiled potatoes and carrots.  The next day I added chopped bits of ham to scrambled eggs.  We reheated some ham and potatoes for another meal and then it was time for a new spin on the leftovers.

   I got out the cookbook and looked in the index under ham.  I couldn't decide between scalloped potatoes or ham and broccoli pie.  I took what I had available from both recipes and mashed it together. 

    I sliced the boiled potatoes and carrots.  I layered the pototoes, carrots and ham lasagna style. I had a couple heads of broccoli so these were chopped and in they went. I prepared the white sauce as directed for scalloped potatoes.  I scrambled 4 eggs and stirred in the white sauce to blend. 
  
     Now instead of having a side dish I had a potato casserole with eggs and vegetables all in one dish.  My cooking time was a quick 30 minutes since only the eggs and broccoli needed cooking.  It turned out to be a big hit and we even had leftovers, again!

The Original Ham Recipes from Betty Crocker Cookbook

Impossibly Easy Ham and Broccoli  Pie
1 cup cut up cooked ham
1/2 cup shredded Swiss cheese
1/4 cup chopped green onions
1/2 cup Bisquick
1/4 cup milk
1/4 tsp salt
1/8 teaspoon pepper
2 large eggs
1 cup small curd cottage cheese
2 cups frozen broccoli cuts

1. Heat oven to 400 degrees. Grease pie plate.
2. Sprinkle ham, cheese and onions in pie plate
3. Beat remain ingredients with fork until blended. Pour into pie plate.
4. Bake 30 minutes. Sprinkle 1/2 shredded cheese evenly over top. Bake 5 minutes until cheese is melted. Stand 5 minutes.

Scalloped Potatoes

3 tbsp butter
1 small onion, finely chopped (1/4 cup)
3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1 tsp salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
2 1/2 cups milk
6 medium peeled or unpeeled potatoes, thinly sliced (6 cups)
1 tbsp butter

1. Heat oven to 350 degrees. Grease bottom and side of 2-quart casserole with butter.
2. Melt 3 tablespoons butter in 2-quart saucepan over medium heat. Cook onion in butter about 2 minutes, stirring occasionally, until tender. Stir in flour, salt, and pepper. Cook, stirring constantly, until smooth and bubbly remove from heat.
3. Stir in milk. Heat to boiling, stirring constantly. Boil and stir 1 minute.
4. Spread potatoes in casserole. Pour sauce over potatoes. Cut 1 tablespoon butter into small pieces; sprinkle over potatoes. Cover and bake 30 minutes. Uncover and bake 1 hour loner or until potatoes are tender. Let stand 5 to 10 minutes before serving (sauce thickens as it stands).

4 comments:

  1. Yes it was "anonymous." If I know your identity, I can enter you in my cookbook giveaway.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks good. Can't wait to try this recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wasn't sure what the outcome would be while I was building it. I was happy that everyone enjoyed it. Thanks for all the comments!

    ReplyDelete