Followers

Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Hats Off To Thanksgiving: Fun and Easy Crafts for Kid Company

   Okay so you've cleaned the house, shopped for all the ingredients, and baked up a storm.  Now that your turkey is in the oven and the parade is over, what are you going to do with your company?  I'm not talking about the adults.  They will be happy to pick at appetizers and gab, but the little ones are starting to run up and down the hallway.

   It's time to break out the craft supplies.  My children were very lucky to have the day before Thanksgiving off from school.  They were even happier to get to spend the day with their buddies.  After I read them Thanksgiving at the Tappleton's by Eileen Spinelli, they were ready to get their hands busy with a Thanksgiving project.
 
   Since it was short notice, I had not run to the store for turkey stickers or feathers.  I suggested we make toilet paper tube napkin rings.  They would wrap the tube with plain paper, glue the paper to the tube  and draw a turkey or pilgrim for a little decorative touch to your meal.
Here's your supplies, and go!

   The children had their own ideas.  Armored with paper, glue, scissors and markers they created their own pilgrim hats.  All I had to do was fetch a few supplies and they were happy to create away.  They even stapled bands around the hats by helping each other. Once everyone was decked out they were ready to have their own Thanksgiving parade!
A hat for every head.

   If you are expecting little ones at your feast, don't panic.  Grab a few sheets of paper out of the printer, markers or crayons, and the stapler and you can keep them busy while they have some holiday fun!

4 comments:

  1. I love those turkeys made from pine cones and pipe cleaners. Because of Pinterest I now love vegetable trays that look like turkeys.

    Hugs and happy turkey day!
    Carol

    ReplyDelete
  2. Carol pinecone turkeys would be fun. My daughter made a walnut turkey in Sunday School last week. Turkey vegetable trays are a great addition to a healthy holiday. What an interesting idea! Happy Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very creative!

    I just wish I had the strength to "un-hide" my kids scissors today.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You just made me laugh. I know the feeling of hiding scissors.

    ReplyDelete