Followers

Sunday, September 16, 2012

New Deli

    When I picked up the roast on sale for $2.99 a pound and looked at the label of $11.96 I thought about putting it back.  It just seemed like a lot of money for one item.  Ironically a pound of roast beef at the deli sells for up to $10 a pound.

    I served the roast with mashed potatoes and green beans picked from our garden.  After dinner, Dan got out the electric slicer my parents gave me for Christmas.   The kids were mesmerized while he buzzed through the roast. Now we had plenty of lunch meat.  Our daughter's favorite lunch is a peanut butter and jelly sandwich.  After becoming aware of a peanut allergy at school, she was thrilled to pack a nut free lunch.  I was happy not to spend my time and money at the deli counter!

    

8 comments:

  1. Thanks Joie. Dan says it makes the lunch meat "free".

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not to mention you are skipping all the processed garbage and nitrates. I always found lunch meat from the deli gaaaa-rosss!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had meant to write about this aspect. The only addition to my roast was fresh ground pepper and a crushed clove of garlic.

      Delete
  3. I NEED to get an electric slicer. That's such an awesome idea!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will have to grill Mom and Dad to see where they bought it. I know it was not an easy find. It tried my sister's slicer first to see if it was worth the effort. You are welcome to take mine for a test spin.

      Delete
  4. That's great your daughter could accept a change from peanut butter and jelly and that your hubby could get involved in slicing the meat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Carol she is actually having a hard time adjusting to this change. The school said she could eat peanut butter at a separate table, but she is afraid to hurt the boy. We are packing her a nut-free lunch since it seems to calm her worries.

      Delete