Followers

Sunday, January 1, 2012

The Year of Somedays...

   It is easy to get caught up in what needs to be done everyday and put your dreams on hold.  It isn't always a huge dream that you keep postponing.  It could be a small project such as cleaning out your closet so you can get rid of things you never use.   Maybe you have a desire to re-connect with a good friend on a deeper level than "liking" her facebook posts.

    I am terrific procrastinator.  If I can't get something completed today, then I may as well not even start it.  I keep telling myself, "I will get to that someday." However in 2011 I decided that it would be my year of somedays.  Instead of putting off what I wanted to accomplish, I set a timer for 20 minutes and I had to concentrate on only my goal during that time.  I found out that my mind wanders a lot! I would get 5 minutes into a project and leave the room and have to drag myself back to what I was supposed to be doing.  The good thing is if I was frustrated or not really in the mood I knew I could stop when the timer beeped.  At least then I had made a dent in the work and attempted to get something done rather than making excuses.  I was often surprised that the job at hand that seemed like it would take forever was either done or that I had gathered enough momentum to keep working.

    I have always wanted to be a writer.  Somewhere, in the back of my mind it was always there.  Yet the only thing I had written in years were "to do" lists.  I'd also been promising myself for several years that I would experiment more with my cooking.  It was always, next month I will make a new recipe every week or once a month or soon I'll try a new recipe. I am very fortunate to know a fellow writer that has helped me start my blog combining these two goals and encouraged me to keep writing.  At first, I didn't think I could find the time necessary to write.  Then, I was afraid I would run out of things to share.  I am very glad that I have made the time to follow my goal.  Not only have I been able to carve out time for my writing, but I have had the joy of reaching others and hearing their reactions.

  Of course the new year is a time when many people set goals and then don't follow through.  The important thing is to try anything.  Chances are you will be happy that you made the effort.  Really, wouldn't it be selfish if you didn't let us know what you can really do?  Tell me, what are your "someday projects"?

4 comments:

  1. I have tons of "someday" projects! For years I've said I want to take a photography clss someday. I think 2012 will be the year! Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Barb. I need to pick up my guitar and finally take lessons that Dan bought 2 years ago. I keep meaning to get around to it. I should take an "after" picture of the two closets I cleaned this week. I didn't take a "before" picture.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My someday projects... washing my bike would be first on list. Cleaning up my room. That's it, I guess. Awesome post!
    Peace ^^
    Nivedha

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Nivedha. One of my goals this year is to be more positive and break tasks down in to small bits so I am not so overwhelmed. You will get there if you keep at it is my attitude.

    ReplyDelete