Followers

Monday, January 16, 2012

Queen of Quinoa

   When I was first introduced to quinoa, about ten years ago, I didn't even know how to say it, let alone cook it. I thought it was pronounced qwin-o-ah instead of keen-wa.  Since then I have learned to appreciate this tiny grain that looks like cous-cous.

      Quinoa comes in bags, boxes or in the bulk bins.  Unfortunately, my bulk bag, "sprung a leak" when I punctured a hole in it and I spilled tiny quinoa pellets from the kitchen door to the pantry.  I looked like one of the Stooges trying to not to slip on the marbles cleaning up that mess. 

   Once you have your quinoa contained, it is a versatile addition to your pantry.  Quinoa is a great addition to a vegetarian diet since it is a complete protein.  It also makes a great side dish for a meat- based meal.  I've served it like rice, as a breakfast cereal, in soup and even made quinoa stuffed cabbage. I boiled up this batch to serve under a simple shrimp and vegetable stir fry. 

Cooked Quinoa

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like a great alternative to rice. I'll pick some up and try it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lis, let me know how it turns out. It's really good cooked in chicken broth.

    ReplyDelete