Followers

Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Crockpot Sanity

Turkey Meatloaf and Baked Red Potatoes
   I'm not a morning person, but realizing that I have an appointment at four followed by a meeting at 6 or 7 (I'm not sure what time yet) prompted me to put dinner in the crockpot at 8am today.  As much as I would like to just get the morning routine done and get going first thing (or hit the snooze button) I know that it is better for me to have dinner ready when I get home.  Let's face it we are all pulled in 100 directions each day whether you have kid activities to attend or are getting home from work after a long day at the office.  For somebody who likes to cook, I rarely actually want to cook at dinner time.  It will be a relief during our busy evening to have dinner ready, plus the mess is all in one pot. 
   This recipe would work with beef, I just happened to have ground turkey available.  I don't use any bread crumbs since I am eating a gluten-free diet, but feel free to add your usual meatloaf fixings to the pot. I threw this together without a recipe, so I will attempt to be coherent in my explanation. I hope there are some leftovers to make sandwiches for lunch tomorrow.

Micky's Meatloaf

1 package ground turkey 20.3 oz
1/2 lb frozen spinach
basil, oregano, minced garlic, minced onion
1 egg
ketchup, mustard
4 red potatoes

Place ground turkey into the crockpot. Pour 1/2 of a 1 lb bag of frozen spinach over it. I didn't measure my spices so I will have to estimate 1 tbsp each. Add less if you prefer less spice. I didn't add an egg, but I felt I should put it in the recipe. Squirt about 1/4 cup ketchup over the mixture.  I use a sugar and cornsyrup free ketchup that contains Agave nectar.  Add about 1 tbsp mustard.  Now get your hands in there and mix everything together.  Tuck the meatloaf in the corner and top with a squeeze of ketchup and mustard.  Scrub the potatoes and place them in the pot.  Cook on low for 8-10 hours.  I have veggies leftover from last night, but you could add a quick steam-in-the-microwave bag to round out your meal. Top the potatoes with plain yogurt and chives.

No comments:

Post a Comment