Followers

Monday, June 13, 2011

Never Ending Salad

    So much has been going on here that I have been neglecting my duty to spread recipes to the greater good.  I can blame it on the holiday weekend.  I can blame it on the 90 degree weather since I didn't even want to go near the stove on those days.   Now that I am back from camping and catching up on a pile of laundry from our rainy woodland adventures it is time to get back to business and catch up on my writing. 
    I have been veering off the recipe pile lately and coming up with my own creations.  There is something fun about coming up with a nice meal with only a few ingredients.  While away I made a three bean salad that morphed into another meal of pasta salad and then evolved into a mayonnaise based veggie and pasta culinary delight.  It became the never ending salad for our Memorial day weekend.  It would be great for another summer trip, picnic or hot evening meal.  Keep in mind that I didn't use a recipe as we try to re-create my weekend salad.

Never Ending Salad (aka leftovers that keep on leaving)

Day 1- 3 Bean salad
2 cans green beans, drained
1 huge can, kidney beans, drained (but not rinsed)
1 can black olives, drained
olive oil
vinegar
oregano, season salt

I poured all the canned items into a big bowl, added about 1/4 cup olive oil (I didn't pack measuring cups), 1/8 cup apple cider vinegar and 1 tablespoon each

Day 2- Pasta Salad

1 bag Tinkayada brown rice shells
1 cup broccoli florets
1/4 cup salsa

   I boiled a bag of pasta shells for lunch and added the leftovers noodles to the 3 bean salad with some chopped broccoli.  I poured in 1/4 cup salsa and stirred everything up.  The vinegar and spices from the 3 bean salad made a nice pasta salad that everyone enjoyed.

Day 3- Veggie Salad

1/4 cup Vegenaise
1 cup cauliflower pieces

    My husband added Vegenaise and cauliflower and we had a whole new flavor for the third salad night.  This time we finished it off.
  

2 comments:

  1. Thanks Joie. It is really great to have a make-ahead meal when it is too hot to cook in the evening.

    ReplyDelete