Followers

Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Fal-Awful

Falafel- Take one, baked
I'm not sure when a became a falafel fan, but I decided to try to make my own.  Notice I used the word try.  I was afraid of the splattering oil of deep-frying, so the first time I baked it in the oven.  It was good, but very fragile and not at all like my favorite restaurant.  My second attempt I fried it since I thought that would make it more like the "real thing."  I mixed up the falafel and everything was going well until I dropped them into the hot oil.  The falafel balls just melted into the oil, completely losing any shape.  I scooped up the falafel mush and smeared it onto a spinach wrap with some kalamata olive spread.  It wasn't pretty, but it still tasted good.  I inquired at the restaurant and was told I may have had too much moisture since I used canned chickpeas instead of dried.  I guess there are no shortcuts on the road to good falafel.

Falafel
from: Eat Cheap, but Eat Well by Charles Mattocks

1 16 ounce bag dried chickpeas (aka garbanzo beans)
1 medium onion, chopped
3 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
3 cloves garlic, chopped
1 teaspoon ground coriander
1 teaspoon ground cumin
Salt and freshly ground pepper

1. Rinse the dried chickpeas and soak them in enough water to cover overnight, until softened. Drain and add to a saucepan with 2 cups fresh water. Bring to a boil, then simmer for 15 minutes. Drain and let cool.
2. In a food processor, combine the cooked chickpeas, onion, parsley, garlic, coriander, and cumin.   Add salt and pepper to taste; then add the baking powder. Blend into a smooth, thick paste. Form the mixture into small golf ball-size balls, flattening them slightly so they don't roll.
3.  Add enough canola oil to a large skillet to fry the falafel (about 2 inches) and set over medium-high heat. When the oil is hot, carefully add the falafel balls and fry until crisp golden brown, about 2 minutes per side. Drain on paper towels.  Alternatively, bake in oven at 475 degrees for 10 minutes on a greased cooking tray.

4 comments:

  1. Uhh... Micky? Are you vegetarian? I am. :P

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love falafel! It is tricky to make, though! I'll have to give it a try again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, I am "newly" vegetarian. I am adjusting to life without out meat and the concerns of getting enough protein. @Barb- maybe you can teach me a few tricks to make a successful falafel. I have another recipe (surprise, surprise) that may have better results.

    ReplyDelete